In 1774, Gainsborough and his family moved to London.
In 1777, he again began to exhibit his paintings at the
Royal Academy, including portraits of contemporary
celebrities, such as the Duke and Duchess of
Cumberland. Exhibitions of his work continued for the
next six years.
In 1780, he painted the portraits of King George III and
his queen and afterwards received many royal
commissions. This gave him some influence with the
Academy and allowed him to dictate the manner in which
he wished his work to be exhibited. However, in 1783, he
removed his paintings from the forthcoming exhibition
and transferred them to Schomberg House.